Wednesday 21 September 2011

Weight Loss Foods

When someone mentions the term "weight loss foods" to you, what are your first thoughts?
Do you think of real food, or fake food?
Do you think of foods that taste great, or foods that taste bland?
I hope you haven't been brainwashed into believing that real foods that help you lose weight taste bad because that's just not the case. True weight loss foods taste great and they're foods your body was meant to eat in abundance and feel the weight loss and health benefits from.
Here are a few of my favorite foods to help you lose weight.
1) Blueberries
I love blueberries and I especially love telling my clients to eat them regularly to help them lose weight because they're the perfect weight loss food.
They're low in calories, rich in vitamins and phytonutrients and loaded with fiber per serving.
You can munch on 'em by themselves, add them to a nice little fruit cocktail, or like me, add them to a homemade smoothie.
You could also add them to yogurt (don't buy yogurts with fruit already added), or add them as a topping to oatmeal or granola.
My mouth is watering just thinking about blueberries!
2) Almonds
You've probably been told before that almonds make a great weight loss food, and it's true because they are.
They're high in protein, healthy fats and fiber, which make a wicked trifecta of weight loss!
They're also high in phytonutrients, which makes the health of this little weight loss food go up exponentially.
Make sure you eat plain almonds and don't get stuck in the thought process of "any almond is a good almond" because that's not true. If you buy almonds that are smoked, heavily salted, or otherwise altered you are turning an otherwise healthy, weight loss food, into a fat-gaining food. Don't do it!
Do be careful on how much you eat because it is a calorie-dense food, especially if you're just enjoying it as a snack.
3) Pineapple
Pineapple is a super-sweet fruit that's also low in calories. It's loaded with water, which means you probably won't be able to eat much in one sitting, which is another reason it's such a great weight loss food.
I actually use pineapple as a "prevention" food. By that I mean, I use it to prevent me from eating an unhealthy food that could make me gain weight instead losing weight. If I'm tempted to eat a high calorie snack food, I'll first reach for some pineapple and that usually curbs my appetite just enough to avoid eating the junk.
Pineapple is also rich in a digestive enzyme that helps break food down in your intestinal tract.
The great thing about these 3 foods is that they're easy enough for the whole family to enjoy.
I've always insisted that if you can eat healthy as a family, long-lasting weight loss is easy. Get your significant other and kids to eat like you, and watch the health of your family soar!
Sure your kids may poo-poo on the broccoli, but give them the hummus to dip it in and they'll learn to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment